In case of no acceptance, you can also ask for your personal data to be removed from our database sending the request to email@example.com.
New Augmented Reality solutions for the energy market
Published on Wednesday, October 31 2018
Login or Sign up
Challenge Expiration Date: December 20, 2018
Enel is seeking creative ideas and opportunities that leverage Augmented Reality technology to add value to its current business by enhancing the residential user experience.
This is an Ideation Challenge with a guaranteed award for at least one submitted solution.
IMPORTANT NOTICE 29 November, 2019: the deadline for the submissions has been extended until 20 December, 2019.
Augmented Reality (AR) allows users to view their environment differently by integrating digital content with the real world. One advantage of AR is that it can be accessed on a mobile device, allowing customers to use this technology in the palm of their hand. Many industries now recognize that strategic implementation of AR not only enhances the customer experience, but also streamlines business operations. As a global pioneering utility company, Enel is seeking creative and effective approaches to leverage AR technology to bring added value to their residential customers and overall business. Submissions will include a detailed description of the proposed concept and any supporting information with regards to its feasibility and economics.
This Challenge provides contribution to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- SDG 7 - Affordable and clean energy
- SDG 8 - Decent work and economic growth
- SDG 9 - Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
- Register now to start solving this Challenge! The full description challenge will be available to logged in users only. -
For questions about the challenge and your proposal you can contact EnelOpenInnovabilityChallenges@innocentive.com
Despite being introduced decades ago, Augmented Reality (AR) has only recently achieved widespread adoption. AR technology overlays virtual objects over real-time image captures, radically changing the user experience and creating an entirely new paradigm for mass technology use. As it becomes more accessible to the public, there are countless opportunities to add digital content to almost any image that can be captured by a mobile device. Not only can AR enable users to interact with products and gain insight into possible benefits, but companies can also profit from greater brand awareness and public exposure. Numerous companies from diverse industries (e.g. furniture, fashion, beauty, sports, gaming, automotive) are using AR creatively to enhance the customer experience and Enel is seeking novel ideas to make AR the next game changer in the utility industry.
Enel is seeking innovative ideas based upon AR technology to revolutionize its global electricity and gas markets. Any solution with a compelling business justification will be considered, including but not limited to the following areas: enhancing the customer experience, increasing revenues, reducing operating costs, strengthening brand awareness, attracting customers, generating and/or extracting value from data collected and managed, and reducing the churn rate.
Submissions must have the following qualities:
- Brings additional value to Enel and its residential customers (e.g. new offers, services, products, solutions)
- Supports Enel’s commitment on SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) with specific emphasis on 7, 8, and 9
- Has a user interface that is engaging and easy to operate
- Adapts to multiple geographies and complies with regional government regulations
In addition, the following qualities are highly desired but not required:
- Is compatible with and leverages the Enel Open Meter (second generation smart meter)
- Includes a cost-benefit analysis of implementation
- Provides mock-ups that demonstrate functionality and usability
The submitted proposal should be a maximum of 10 pages and include the following:
- Rationale for the proposed concept and a detailed explanation of its novelty and feasibility
- Key steps for commercializing the solution (e.g. resources, time frame, metrics (and insights with respect to any known limitations)
The proposal should not include any personal identifying information (name, username, company, address, phone, email, personal website, resume, etc.) or any information the Solvers may consider as their Intellectual Property they do not want to share.
This is an Ideation Challenge, which has the following unique features:
- There is a guaranteed award. Two awards will be paid to the best submissions as solely determined by the Seeker. The total payout will be $20,000, with $5,000 for the best idea and $15,000 for the best project. (A project is defined as a concept with demonstrated value.) The winners will be recognized at an Enel Innovation Hub in Italy. Awardees may be given the opportunity to pitch their solutions at the event.
- The Solvers are not required to transfer exclusive intellectual property rights to the Seeker. Rather, by submitting a proposal, the Solver grants to the Seeker a royalty-free, perpetual, and non-exclusive license to use any information included in this proposal, including for promotional purposes.
Submissions to this Challenge must be received by 11:59 PM (CET) on December 2, 2018.
Late submissions will not be considered.
What happens next?
After the Challenge deadline, the Seeker will complete the review process and make a decision with regards to the Winning Solution(s). All Solvers that submit a proposal will be notified on the status of their submissions; however, no detailed evaluation of individual submissions will be provided. ABOUT INNOCENTIVE InnoCentive collaborates with Enel to manage this challenge. InnoCentive is the global innovation marketplace where creative minds solve some of the world's most important problems for cash awards up to $1 million. Commercial, governmental and humanitarian organizations engage with InnoCentive to solve problems that can impact humankind in areas ranging from the environment to medical advancements.
After the Challenge deadline, the Seeker will complete the review process and make a decision with regards to the Winning Solution(s). All Solvers that submit a proposal will be notified on the status of their submissions; however, no detailed evaluation of individual submissions will be provided.
InnoCentive collaborates with Enel to manage this challenge.
InnoCentive is the global innovation marketplace where creative minds solve some of the world's most important problems for cash awards up to $1 million. Commercial, governmental and humanitarian organizations engage with InnoCentive to solve problems that can impact humankind in areas ranging from the environment to medical advancements.