Enel Green Power aims at fostering the development and adopting innovative solutions able to accelerate and make more resilient the transition towards a full renewable and sustainable way of generating electricity. Innovation and digitalization are two of the key ingredients in this path of growth.
Enel Green Power is a multinational company with a global presence. The company is working to establish new standards in the field of sustainable energy, constantly pushing technological boundaries.
In 2019, with around 3,029 MW of renewable installed capacity worldwide, Enel Green Power, set a new record by building around 190 MW more than in 2018 and thus reaching a total managed renewable capacity of around 46 GW.
This result was possible thanks to a structured planning and constant effort in continuously innovating and optimizing plant design and construction works execution strategies, through the investment and the adoption of increasingly advanced digital technologies. The Company wants to continue this transformation even faster in the future, deploying solutions that will increase its resiliency and sustainable development.
Enel Green Power is looking for new solutions to make the construction works, the monitoring of their progress and the commissioning of renewable plants safer and quicker, increasing the activities that can be performed remotely or autonomously, based on, but not limited to, the use of advanced automation solutions and autonomous systems, collaborative robots, artificial intelligence and digital platforms.
Innovative solutions will be integrated in a portfolio of already adopted tools in order to reshape the construction site of the future, guaranteeing a safe, effective and efficient working environment, thus contributing to increase Company resiliency.
Here below, as an example, are listed some technological fields and possible application areas of interest:
- Digital and automation technologies and processes to enable the night shift of activities;
- Outdoor robotics solutions for heavy material handling and construction;
- Outdoor robotics solutions for demolition of obsolete structures made of different materials like concrete or steel;
- Automated solutions for logistic and materials arrangement;
- Solutions for on line monitoring and quality check of construction activities.
All solutions that can support the achievement of the challenge target will be evaluated and the above list of topics must be considered as an explicative example.
As part of Enel Open Innovation strategy all possible approaches, leveraging even on experiences matured in different fields like construction, mining, oil and gas, agriculture and other outdoor industrial fields will be evaluated.
Submitted solutions must meet the following Solution Requirements:
- Take to a reduction of time and number of people needed for construction activities.
- TRL ≥ 6.
- Applicability to the business within a maximum period of 12 months.
- Take into account, as reference application fields, photovoltaic and wind construction sites. Applicability also to other fields will be considered a plus.
- Applicability in different weather and climate conditions.
The submitted proposal should consist of a detailed technical description based on Solution Requirements, including:
- Examples of technology application or prototypes and reference industry if any;
- Advantages and weaknesses of the proposed solution compared to the current way of working;
- Constrains or technological gaps for the solution adoption;
- Estimation of time and people needed in the execution of the solution submitted in a construction site;
- Data, case studies, patents and journal references or any additional material that supports the proposed solution;
- Cost estimation of the proposed solutions.
This challenge provides contribution to the following sustainable development goals (SDGs) to transform our world:
- SDG 3: Good Health and Well-being
- SDG 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
- SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG 13: Climate Action.